Getting a college degree can be very expensive, especially these days. If you see a quick, easy and inexpensive way to get a degree online, stop and do your research before sending the institution money.
Remember your goal for taking college courses is to --- gain knowledge so you will be ready to perform well in your chosen career. Of course, the degree is important but not without the knowledge.
Here are some tips when choosing an online school:
- Check out the institution with the BBB. What is the rating? What kind of complaints do they have, if any?
- Make sure the program is offered through an accredited school. Your employer will not be impressed or even accept a degree from a non-accredited school.
- Giving credit for life experiences without course work is a red flag about the school. However, if you legitimately test out of a course, that is a different story.
- Make sure the agency the school claims to have accredited them has value.
- Avoid schools that accredit you in days, weeks, or even months. Getting a degree takes time.
- Note that legitimate schools base their fees on course work not on one set fee.
- Legitimate schools ask you to apply to their institution and have textbooks (could be online). You will have assignments and you will be graded/evaluated.
Don’t take the easy way out, take courses from a school that will give you the knowledge you need. Don’t waste time and money with an institution that is just selling degrees.